Difference between revisions of "Node Setup"
Revision as of 11:46, 16 January 2020
This page will help you set up your mesh node each step of the way. We have done plenty of research to provide you with informed recommendations on what works best.
Choosing your Devices
First, you will need to select and acquire the hardware components of your custom router. We have gathered information on many devices to make your selection easier.
Flashing the Firmware
The procedure to flash the firmware varies from device to device. The devices page contains links to wiki pages for each listed device.
Refer to the wiki page for your device to find its corresponding flashing procedure. Or if you prefer, bring your node to one of our meetings and we will be happy to flash it for you!
Configuring your Node
The preconfigured MassMesh firmware aims to have as much as possible done out of the box.
If you are using stock OpenWrt, see Manual Configuration for how to replicate the prebuilt firmware settings.
Placing your Node
In order to communicate on the mesh, your node must be able to talk to other nodes in your area. Here are some suggestions to help maximize your signal:
- Weather resistant nodes should be mounted on the outside of the house or to a column facing the street
- Indoor nodes should be placed on or near windows facing the street and other buildings
- Nodes will work best if they have a direct line of sight to each other
Wiring Up your Node
In addition to providing power to the node, you may also want to use the following ports on your device:
- The WAN port (on multi-port devices) may be connected to a spare LAN port on your regular router (or directly to your modem) to share your internet connection with the mesh
- The LAN port may be connected to a switch or any device to provide internet to that device through the mesh
If you need help at any point, get in touch with us online or in person.